User Experience Design
Master of Science in Information Architecture and Knowledge Management
The Online Master’s Program in IAKM with a concentration in User Experience Design (UXD) at Kent State University blends human-centered thinking, design, and information architecture to take your UXD knowledge and skills to the next level. This concentration is offered as a part of Kent State’s M.S. in Information Architecture and Knowledge Management in the School of Library and Information Science.
User Experience Design addresses the structural, informational, psychological and emotional aspects of what makes a successful user interface, whether it’s web or mobile. This is a fast-growing, fast-evolving field, and Kent State is at the forefront of this emerging discipline. We offer one of the only Master’s degree programs in UX Design in an accessible online format.
Our program prepares professional user experience designers to work in digitally-driven agencies and organizations. Graduates of the program will come away with a solid understanding of usability, content strategy, information architecture and user research.
“It was clear that my projects and knowledge from the Kent State UX program was instrumental in the hiring manager’s decision to bring me on board, as she was especially impressed with a research project I did in our class this past summer.” – Justin M.
“I love the Kent State UX Design program. I am halfway finished!”
– Roxanna H.
Learn more by calling an Admissions Advisor at 844-234-4073.
Why choose Kent State’s online M.S. in IAKM with a focus in User Experience Design?
- Earn an advanced credential in a fast-growing field that is in high demand in organizations across the country
- Experience courses that provide an up-to-the-minute and relevant academic structure behind UX design that will complement your on-the-job experience
- Join an extensive alumni network who work for industry-leading employers throughout the nation
- Learn from professors who are UX leaders in national organizations, opening doors to employers in the industry
- Graduate in less than two years
- Experience a flexible online program structure created to fit the lives of full-time working professionals
- Submit your application with no GRE requirement for admission into the program
Kent State’s User Experience Design Program is designed for busy working professionals, with the following features:
- The program is 36 credits in length, consisting of 12 three-credit courses.
- Each course is seven weeks in length, with two courses taken sequentially each semester. This allows you to focus on one course at a time while still completing your program in two years.
- To keep class sizes small and maximize collaboration, multiple sections of each course are offered.
- The program consists of two core courses (6 credits), 9 specialist courses (27 credits) and a culminating experience (3 credit hours).
- Once you are admitted to the program, your Admissions Advisor will craft your personalized degree plan, giving you a clear course sequence and path to graduation.
Courses are delivered through our course management system, Blackboard Learn. Course content consists of text, narrated PowerPoint presentations, video and audio, live chats, discussion groups and other learning enhancements. To participate in this online program, you will need a computer with a broadband Internet connection. Your program may have further requirements that include the ability to record video and audio. If you have questions regarding technology requirements for this program, please contact your Admissions Advisor at email@example.com or toll-free at 844-234-4073.
What You Will Learn
The curriculum within the User Experience Design program revolves around a five stage process model:
- Learn (L)
- Understand (U)
- iMagine (M)
- Evaluate (E)
- iNform (N)
When we are faced with a new design project, the first thing we do is try to find out as much as we can about the client, the users and any other stakeholder. We look at what their competitors are doing and see what we can learn from that. We might conduct interviews, surveys or focus groups to learn about who and what we will be working with.
Taking what we’ve learned in our research, we develop models such as personas and design principles to help guide our designs.
Using the models we’ve developed, we design solutions for our clients. Here we develop schematics that we can later hand off to developers/engineers to build.
But as we design, we must constantly evaluate our ideas, so we conduct usability studies along the way to make sure our designs will actually work.
Communication of our designs is crucial to implementing them. So here we focus on the professional preparation of deliverables and reports.
The faculty who teach the online Master’s in IAKM with a focus in User Experience Design at Kent State University have an unparalleled passion for making the world better through human-centered design. They are pioneers in the field of UX design, and they bring with them:
- Diverse backgrounds that reinforce the program’s unique blend of human-centered thinking, design and information architecture
- Active industry experience and involvement in national UXD organizations
- Ability to serve as industry contacts for students and alumni
Tuition and Fees
We recognize that pursuing a graduate degree is a significant investment. Your Admissions Advisor can answer your questions on program costs, discuss how a Kent State degree compares to others and connect you with financial aid representatives when you are ready to discuss your financing alternatives. For more information about tuition pricing, please visit our tuition page. You can reach us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or toll-free at 844-234-4073.
To be considered for admission, you must have completed a bachelor’s degree with a GPA of 3.0 or higher. Applicants with a GPA of 2.75 or below will be considered for conditional admission. Contact an Admissions Advisor for more information about this process. We welcome students from a broad range of academic and professional backgrounds. Your bachelor’s degree may be in any area of study.
International students are also eligible for admission into this program. For information on international admission or financial aid options, contact us at email@example.com or call us toll-free at 844-234-4073.
The key steps to the application process include:
- Reach out to us to start the conversation today. Request more information on our website or call 844-234-4073.
- Participate in an interview with your Admissions Advisor to discuss Kent State’s fit with your academic and professional goals.
- Complete the online application form. We recommend that you review our admissions checklist for more information.
- Submit your official undergraduate transcript(s), resume/CV, goal statement and three letters of recommendation.
- You do not need to complete the GRE as a part of the admission process.
Our Admissions Advisors are available to answer your questions regarding admission requirements for the program. If you have questions, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us toll-free at 844-234-4073.